IN NEBRASKA, AS IN EVERY OTHER STATE IN THE U.S., LGBTQ PEOPLE ARE NUMEROUS, AND THEY CONTRIBUTE MEANINGFULLY TO THEIR COMMUNITIES.
Transgender and gender nonconforming individuals experience a high rate of discrimination and injustice. For decades, the ACLU of Nebraska has provided legal and advocacy support for those who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer. We are committed to combating these injustices through litigation, legislation, organizing, public education, and policy advocacy. By naming and identifying injustices, we hope to inform the public on how the LGBTQ communities are impacted.
The ACLU of Nebraska’s work on transgender rights has included:
- Successfully convincing the state Department of Motor Vehicles to change its gender marker
policy on driver’s licenses;
- Overturning a ban on LGBTQ people fostering and adopting children through state agencies;
- Informing election commissioners and poll workers of transgender Nebraskans’ voting rights to
prevent problems on election day;
- Providing Know Your Rights presentations in schools on pronouns and bathroom use
corresponding to a student’s gender identity;
- Successfully advocating for transgender students to have access to the bathroom corresponding
with their gender identity;
- Advocating for more inclusive school policies on athletics for transgender students;
- Interceding in gendered school dress code issues at elementary, middle school, high school, and
- Intervening on behalf of incarcerated transgender people to have medical and personal needs met;
- Providing training in county jails on how to treat transgender or gender nonconforming people in
- Filing suit to prohibit health care entities receiving federal funds from discriminating against
transgender and gender nonconforming people. See Franciscan Alliance v. Burwell;
- Conducting a “Greater Nebraska Out For Freedom Tour” of free events to inform the public about pending cases and legislative efforts to ensure equal rights for gay and transgender Nebraskans;
- Launching an innovative deep canvassing pilot program in Lincoln, making contact with hundreds of Nebraskans to change hearts and minds on trans rights and build capacity among LGBTQ leaders; and
- Advocating on behalf of Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) clubs.